1. Quality Win: The Pirates notched their first win against a quality opponent and did so on the road. Don’t forget that though Navy is 2-5, they are also only 8 points away from being 6-1 on the season.
2. 4 Quarters of Football: ECU finally put together a full football game. There were some Special Team faux pauxs, but all-in-all a complete game.
3. Davis found his Groove: Yes, Dominique Davis set two NCAA records, which is impressive and great for the humble QB, but more importantly, he seems t have found his groove, right when the team needs it most. He is in a rhythm right now.
4. Defense breaks Back-up QB Curse: Historically, ECU’s defense has made back-up quarterbacks look like Heisman Trophy Candidates. This time, the back-up didn’t do us in.
5. No Turnovers: Leading the Nation in turnovers is not where you want to be and after a season full of giving the ball away, it was nice to see a turnover free game.
6. Two if by Air, 3 if by Ground: Kudos to OC Lincoln Riley for sticking with the running game. Reggie Bullock rewarded his coach for it by finding the end zone three times on the night.
7. Young Receivers Stepping Up: With Justin Hardy and Justin Jones out of service, it was great to see the young WRs stepping up. Danny Webster, Derrick Harris, and Reese Wiggins combined for 148 yards receiving on the night and several of their catches were clutch catches.
8. Defensive front 7 Played Well: To say that holding a team to under 300 yards rushing is a positive is a bit of a misnomer, but when that team is Navy, that is a pretty strong feat. The Pirates gave up just 10 more yards on the ground than did USC in their close win over the Midshipmen and an astounding 140 less on the ground than did Southern Miss.
9. Pirates Came Back to Win: As fragile as our team’s confidence has been this season, that they came back to beat Navy in the final stages of the game is an amazing accomplishment and one that hopefully pays dividends later.
10. Serendipity Came Our Way: It has not been a season where luck has been on our side, yet in this one, the ball bounced our way…finally. Down the stretch we found Lady Luck singing our song as the Pirates reaped the benefits of a rule interpretation (on what appeared to be a lead-taking Navy TD reception) and again when the Navy attempt to tie the game in the closing seconds dinged off the field goal post. For a team that has seen luck take so much away this year, it is nice to see us get the benefit of Lady Luck for a change.